Monday, January 26, 2009

11 Years and Counting!


Burke and I have began our friendship 12 1/2 years ago. We met at Old Farm apartments during the summer time. A friend of mine, Krista, was one of his neighbors and introduced us. So we all started hanging out together. "Summer lovin' happened so fast. Summer lovin' had me a blast!" Isn't that how Sandy and Danny put it in Grease? It was a great summer. Burke taught us all how to use guns... I used to be a pretty good shot. We went camping, boating, watched fireworks in the parking lot on a couch, ate a lot of Wok on Wheels. It was great fun! I know this may sound lame, but I kept thinking I knew him from somewhere. His face was familiar, but not. (It was totally like Saturday's warrior, "I've seen that face before..." hee-hee) We dated for 1 1/2 years before we finally tied the knot. Looking back I think I was way too young, but at the time, I couldn't wait to be an adult and be together. So in our years together Burke helped me finish college and work as an elementary school teacher, he started a cultured marble and granite business, together we bought a trailor home, gutted it and re-did it, bought our first dog (since it took us a while to get our first baby...Roxy really was our first), we have since moved out of the trailer park and built two homes, landscaped both, finished basements, shared in joys and defeats and been brought closer because of it all. We have been blessed with 4 beautiful babies that we adore. And we are working to make the future as good or better than we've had it. I reacently found this quote in a magazine and I connected with it because marriage definitely is not the way we persieved it as children...it is work. It seems like the best times come as a result of working hard to keep things together. It isn't always easy, but then again those things that we work hardest to for are usually the most gratifying things in the end. Oh! The quote, here it is...
"Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle." -amy bloom
I love having history with him. I love having secrets with him. I love seeing him wrestle with the boys and coo and the baby girl. I love that he eats my trial runs in the kitchen and just smiles. I love that he doesn't say things that he doesn't really feel. I love that he is passionate about food storage and having fun together. Even though I may complain about it, I love that he has a hobby that he loves.
So, here's to eleven years of history together. And here's to and eternity filled with more to share!

5 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Happy Anniversary, You!!!!!!
Eleven Years? Wow -- you're old! :)

I love that quote -- it is THE truth.

Ang said...

Congrats! You ARE old. Wow. he he.

Wendy said...

Yay for posting. Congrats Girl. I loved the post. Here's to history:)

S.L.H. said...

Wait, it is your anniversary! Congrats!!!

Jeanne Sorensen said...

That is the sweetest thing that you wrote...you are an awesome wife, mother and daughter-in-law!!! Burke is so lucky to have you as his eternal companion...