Sunday, October 5, 2008

Simple Pleasures




So this is what I had for breakfast one day this week! What a simple pleasure... tomato and cheese on a piece of bread. No frills, just stacked and toasted. Mmmm-mmm- Good! It reminds me of this quote I found in a little book written by Marjorie Hinckley. The quote comes out of a cook book written by Mark Bittman and it reads:

"The key to enjoying cooking is embracing simplicity. Simplicity in food is honesty, warmth, pleasure, modesty, even fairness. Simplicity in cooking is ease and grace... Simplicity... is not a compromise but a treasure."

I love this quote so much that I actually have the end of it on a plaque. Simplicity is a treasure. Yes siree bob!!! Amen... Hallelujah!

OK so I have had a lot of tomatoes ripening lately so I am trying to use them and not waste them. I have never ventured into the whole canning thing and I am a little intimidated by the whole process so I decided to make marinara sauce which I can freeze instead of can. After I had peeled all the skins off the tomatoes Max came and grabbed a piece and said "Mmm, watermelon." Ha! The joke's on you boy. The sauce turned out yummy and it made my house smell so yummy good. Simple Pleasures.... What are your simple pleasures?

4 comments:

Chase and Nahomi said...

Hey I found your blog! You are so so cute! Now I can blogger stalk you too! haha

Jocelyn said...

I have been up to my elbows in tomatoes, too! Canning, freezing, you name it. Your sauce looks so good.

My simple pleasures? Hmmmm....Fried tomatoes for breakfast....watching the Office....I need some new simple pleasures -- emphasis on the simple.

Georgia said...

Wow! You've been going to town with the produce! I'm jelous! I keep telling myself next year :) By the way do you have any cornstalks :)

Georgia

Smithies said...

Hey Al,
You've done a great job with your blog--a little bit of everything! I need your tomatoe sauce recipe and instructions for freezing because I have tons as well. I love tomatoes but I give more away than I use! Anywho, your Ellie is adorable and your "craftiness" is very ingenious--will you come do my girls rooms? they would love it! See you soon
Also, I think that spider was pregnant and that's why it's gone!? Wow I don't think I'd want to run into something that big on accident.