Friday, November 7, 2008

What Matters is What's on the Inside


Watching Tate eat his lunch today got me thinking. We had grilled cheese sandwiches and a Keebler Elf cookie. Tate didn't eat either of them the way an adult would...he split them open and proceded to dip his chips in the goopy cheese and lick the frosting out of the cookie! It brought to my mind the words of my mother (and so many others)...

"It doesn't matter what's on the outside, it's what's on the inside that matters."

Mom always said this about other people, but today I see how very much it's true with most everything. Oreos, for example. Their insides totally define them. Presents under the Christmas tree! Oh you know you've opened a beautiful white elephant prensent only to find a giant bra tucked inside. Home. It might be a really beautiful home, but without love and unity and happy memories, it just aint much. Watermelon. It could be really green and round and sound really hollow when you spank it at the store, but when you cut it up and serve it to your family and friends the insides make it or break it!
How very perceptive even a child is to this principle. I can't believe how much I tend to judge a vegetable by it's looks or a person for that matter. Here's to seeing the insides of everything and giving everything and everyone a shot!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Amen!! Where are all the boys in town with the same motto? I totally love you! Toodles.