Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yummy For My Tummy Fish Tacos


Our new absolute favorite meal is fish tacos! I know it might sound gross to you, but it's so not gross. Of course our kids won't eat it, but what do they eat? They will, however, eat the fish and any sides I might add to the table.






This is how I make our yummy fish tacos...



Earlier in the day I make Pico de Gallo, cabbage & jalapeno coleslaw, and a cilantro ranch dressing. These are the three toppings for the tacos. (And so you know, they make a great taco without the fish even!)

Pico De Gallo- Chop 1-2 tomatoes, 1/4 white onion, cilantro to taste, and 1-2 cloves minced garlic. Add all this together, cover and put in fridge to let the flavors blend.

Coleslaw- 1/4 head of cabbage shredded, 3-4 baby carrots shredded with cheese grater, 1/2 jalapeno seeded and finely diced. (Wash hands really well otherwise you'll wind up with burning body parts.) Toss veggies in a small bowl and coat with seasoned rice vinegar, and a bit of lime juice. Again, cover and chill so flavors can meld together.

Dressing- There are lots of good recipes out there for the creamy cilantro dressing (like Cafe Rio's), but here is the simple version I use for Fish Tacos... Take 1/2 cup ranch dressing and put in a small food processor. Add the other half of your jalapeno, a handfull of cilantro leaves and perhaps a little parmesan cheese (or cotija if you have it). Blend, cover and chill until tacos are ready to serve.

The Fish
Coat any firm white fish meat with the Old Bay seasoning of choice. I like to mix a little Blackened Seasoning with a little Garlic and Herb Seasoning. Then cook on the grill or broil in the oven.







The Shells

This is key. You may feel like you are too healthy conscious for the fried taco shells, but I promise, it isn't the same without them. Heat some oil in a small frying pan. Fry corn tortillas on one side until lightly browned, then turn and fold in half. Brown on each side then drain on paper towels.



Serve it Up!


We like to have a little yellow rice, corn and sometimes black beans with this meal... whatever we are in the mood for. Don't forget, while you have the hot oil, to fry some flour tortillas and put cinnamon sugar on 'em for dessert. The kids plow through their dinner just so they can have that sweet little treat!

1 comment:

Taylor and Jessica Malungahu said...

Thanks for the recipes you put up they all look so good and easy. I love, love, love fish tacos. I hope you have fun in California with your mom and sister.