I have been busy making a few things to get into Christmas mode. It has been fun to get crafty again. I seem to go in spurts. I don't know about you. So this is what I've been working on.
Project one:
Block Puzzle
This project is such a fun one. Though it is a little time consuming, it is one that has a great finished look. I bought a My Mind's Eye kit to make the 6 sided puzzle last year and I finally found a good reason to make it. I entered a craft swap, and this is what I made for my galpal Kristin!
(If you see this before it arrives in the mail, I'm sorry! LOL!) SO CUTE!!!! I know!!! You start with 6 pictures (I photoshopped them to be 6x6. A few I added text to and enhanced. The reason I precropped them was to save $$$$ on color prints. Fillbies prints up to 12x18 for $1.59. By cropping and creating a 12x18 layout, I was able to print all 6 pictures on one sheet for $1.59!!!!! Yippeeeee! Then I had to chop the pics up and modge podge them onto the blocks. This took a lot of time, but in the end, it was so very cute. After they dried, I sanded the edges slightly and then sealed the pictures with more podge. I did two layers, alternating the wipe-on direction so that they have the texture of canvas when it's all dried. Any ways.... I love the finished product and I hope Kristin does too!
Next Project:
Names on Stockings
A couple of years ago I bought these velvet-ish stockings from Down East after Christmas. I think they were somewhere around $20 for all six. What a deal! I know! The problem? A couple of them had embroidered names on them already. My solution was to pick off the stitching that was there and put on my own. Last year, I put vinyl on them knowing that it would be a temporary fix. This year I bought this silver braid metallic yarn at Hobby Lobby for $1, on sale. I opened the word processor and typed out all the names in our family. I changed fonts till I found one I liked. At that point I had two options, eyeball it and stitch the fonts onto the stockings or print them up, pin the paper onto the stocking, tack the yarn on (going through the paper and stocking) and then remove the paper. I am STUPID and I eyeballed it. I tacked it onto the stockings with regular white thread. It did take a bit of time, but again, I loved the end result...much cheaper than taking it to an embroiderer.
Thrid Project:
Jingle Bells
My current calling is Nursery Music Leader. The children are adorable and love to have stuff to hold onto...and it's even better if the things they are holding make noise! We had jingle bells, but they were always tangled together and the children would put the whole thing in their mouths rather than jingle them. So I came up with this solution....pipe cleaners+ Popsicle sticks+ jingle bells= jingle bell heaven!!! They were a huge hit with the children. The jingle bells were $2, a pack of pipecleaners was $1, and the sticks are less than a penny each. How much fun will these be at a family christmas party? everyone can jingle while we sing!!!!!
Fourth Project:
Elves
I found a cute elf song and set out to find some mini elves, but didn't have much luck. So I bought some felt, used some of the pipe cleaners from project three, and some popsicle sticks, a bit of tacky glue and I used fine tip sharpies to draw on the faces. I drew a simple pattern with pointy ears, a pattern for the jumpsuit, shoes and hat. The red dots I just eyeballed. I was surprised how quick it was to cut them all out....not bad at all. The assembling was easy because I laid them all out first, then added glue and assembled. I must say, they would be fun finger puppets too! You could add a little felt pocket on the back and viola!
I LOVE my little men! heeheehee! "There's a little elf sitting on your knee...." See? Don't you want to join us?!
Just for fun, here are the songs we are singing:
Twinkle Christmas Star (I have some mini star ornaments we use for this one)
Sung to: "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"
Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star
How I wonder what you are.
Shining high up in the sky
Show the Shepherds where Christ lies.
Twinkle Twinkle Christmas Star.
How I wonder what you are.
5 Little Christmas Trees
5 little Christmas Trees
Standing all alone
Their heart were very sad
'Cause they hadn't found a home.
Then chop went the ax
And down fell the tree
And off they went with a happy family!
(continue from 4-1 Christmas Trees)
No little Christmas Trees
Standing all alone
Their hearts were very happy
'Cause they all found a home!!!
Let's All
Sung to: "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"
Let's all do a little clapping,
Let's all do a little clapping,
Let's all do a little clapping,
& spread Christmas cheer.
You can change the clapping to other activities.
2.Jumping
3.Twirling
4.Stretching
5.Bending Ask the kids for other ideas.
There's A Little Elf
Sung to: "If You're Happy & You Know It"
There's a little elf that's sitting on my nose,
There's a little elf that's sitting on my nose.
He is sitting on my nose,
Then off away he goes.
Now there's no little elf upon my nose.
There's a little elf that's sitting on my knee,
There's a little elf that's sitting on my knee.
He is sitting on my knee,
Just watch and he will flee.
Now there's no little elf upon my knee.
There's a little elf that's sitting on my head,
There's a little elf that's sitting on my head.
He is sitting on my head,
Then away he goes to bed.
Now there's no little elf upon my head.
Ring Those Bells Sung to: "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain"
(Loudly)
We will ring those Christmas bells so loud and clear.
We will ring those Christmas bells so loud and clear.
We will hear the dingle, dingle
When they jingle, jingle, jingle.
Yes, we'll ring those Christmas bells so loud and clear.
(Softly)
We will ring those Christmas bells so quietly.
We will ring those Christmas bells so quietly.
We will hear the dingle, dingle
When they jingle, jingle, jingle.
Yes, we'll ring those Christmas bells so quietly.
(loud and deliberate)
We will ring those Christmas bells so fast and loud.
We will ring those Christmas bells so fast and loud.
We will hear the dingle, dingle
When they jingle, jingle, jingle.
Yes, we'll ring those Christmas bells so fast and loud.
Wise Men + Baby Jesus Song
The Wise Men traveled from afar, (walking fingers)
Following the Christmas star, (thumbs and pointers together, arc over head)
When it stopped they jumped for joy, (clap and smile)
And worshiped Jesus baby boy. (rock baby in arms)
6 comments:
Dude you rock....can I have an ounce of your energy?
Oh my! Those crafts are amazing... so fun for the little ones (and maybe even some of the older ones, too!) And what a great way to get into the Chrismas spirit!
Whoa!!! Soooo impressed! I LOVE everything! Your pics look professional too. I can't wait to get my surprise!
Wow! You've been busy! Cute stuff!
Um........You are Amazing. Love every one of these!
Well Hello Martha Stewart!! Your awesome! We should all get together someday and have a craft day!
Post a Comment