Thursday, December 31, 2009

Orange Medallions

I have a deep love in my heart for all things citrus. I don't know why. This admiration might stem from my childhood in California. It may be genetic. It may have developed because I had an orange and lemon tree in my backyard. It may be because we used to fetch fresh oranges from the tree on a Saturday morning and make fresh juice. I really don't know what cultivated this love, but it's there. I want to share a simple, kid tested, favorite....orange medallions!!!!!

BTW: Don't you know... the new red is .....orange!

Look at them sitting there...popping out! Aren't your eyes drawn to them?! You know that tucked under that leathery orange skin is more orange!!!! Juicy orange. Not that the skin should be disregarded altogether. It adds tremendous flavor to any dish or baked good. Today I want to focus on the insides though...because isn't that what your mother always said mattered the most?!

Just a side note: There was a Sunkist factory not far from our home. The orange crop usually came on around the beginning of December. After we moved away from our own orange tree when I was nearly 9, my mother would always drive to the factory and pick up a box or two of fresh California oranges for the holidays. It was always a treat. There was always one, big, juicy orange tucked into the toe of our Christmas stocking on Christmas morning (along with a silver dollar, of course)!

O.K. Back to the recipe.


Hello my little pretties! How you doing?! (in the voice of Joey Tribiani, Friends)

Ooops! Off track again.

Take a bunch of beautiful soft oranges. It doesn't matter how many. Today I did 6 of them.

Slice off the ends. This helps with the peeling. (there is a way around peeling if that is your pleasure..I'll get to that.)

See how pretty it is. God was very generous when he gave us this fruit packed with juicy vitamin C.

Now, I must make a note about the pithy white stuff. Most people detest it, but from what I've heard, a lot a the vitamins in an orange lay in this area near the skin. So I prefer to keep the white stuff in my medallions.





The next step is to peel the orange skin off.


You can throw the skin in a pot with some water, cinnamon stick, clove,and bay leaf and simmer to make your home smell very warm and yummy if you like.

Or you can throw it down the disposer to freshen it up a bit!



If you dislike the vitamin packed white stuff you can slice the skin off the poor little darling!

WARNING: It doesn't look as good and it is a little messier if you go this route!!!!!!!

But it will still work.


Boo to you if you use this method.




Slice your oranges into thick slices.

Not too thin because you want your kids to be able to eat these like finger food!


I LOVE FINGER FOODS!








Lay them, overlapping in a dish or Tupperware. Preferably one with a lid.

Avoid metal pans.

The acidity of an orange and a metal pan don't sound like they would compliment each other very well.




Didn't they look good by the way. Juicy. JUICY! JuIcY!!!!!


Now, sprinkle powdered sugar all over your pretty little ladies!



The beauty of this recipe is that it is better the longer the juices and sugar mix...the word is macerate I believe.

So you can make it the night before and serve it up nice and cold in the morning.

And Voila!

A healthy snack or quick breakfast side dish that even the pickiest eater will gobble up!

While I have been blogging this post, my kids have just about finished off 6 oranges...ok I had a few too, but seriously, there are 3 slices left of the whole tray!

KID TESTED, MOM APPROVED!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

You are my own personal Pioneer Woman!!! These look so delish. I only have Clementines so maybe I'll try with those for tomorrow.

Your pictures are lovely, by the way.