Saturday, February 20, 2010

Treasure Not Trash: No Use Cryin' Over Broken Shadow

Have you ever bought a brand new eyeshadow, brought it home and promptly dropped it and shattered it into pieces? I thought so. My mom did this with her brand new MAC shadow a couple of years ago. FYI...MAC is not cheap. She was ticked! When she went in to replace it, the MAC girl actually gave her this shadow saving trick to "fix" shattered shadow. I dropped my shadow the other day and thought I'd take the opportunity to try the trick out. To my pleasant surprise, it actually worked!

Take one broken/shattered shadow.

Put it in a dish with a titch of alcohol.

Make a paste. I added too much alcohol so it took FOREVER for it to all evaporate out. Be careful not to use too much alcohol. Did I mention that you don't want to put in too much alcohol?! Just checkin'.

Carefully put it back into it's container or compact. I had to do this in batches because I put too much liquid in and it wouldn't fit. Don't do this. It is a little bit messy so be warned... I had glittery stuff all over my face after this was done. Then you just have to play the waiting game! Mine took about 5 hours to firm up...but it wouldn't hurt to let it sit over night...just to be on the safe side.

Here it is...all firmed up! And ready for use. I hope this trick is useful to someone out there. It really does work! Yippee! No more crying over shattered shadow! Ahhhhhhhhh.

2 comments:

Angie said...

That is a GREAT tip!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I know I will definitely be using it sometime soon. No broken ones right now, but I typically have at least one color that is broken, so it's just a matter of time.

Do you mind if I link to this or post this on my blog as well? I think my readers will enjoy the tip as I did...

Alison said...

Angie, link away! It is one of my favorite tips! Please share it!