Friday, February 26, 2010

Bonnie Rae


Today my good friend was laid to rest. I can't convey my sadness. I really had faith that she was going to pull through her illness and stay a little longer on Earth. I want to share a few things about this amazing woman that made her so important to me.

I first met Bonnie 8 years ago. We attended the same church congregation. When I first saw her she reminded me of someone I knew from home. She was the spitting image of my girlfriend's mother....everything from her appearance, to her classy taste in clothing, to her slight eccentricity, to her eloquent speech, to her love of books and literature. Perhaps that is what drew me to Bonnie in the beginning...a familiarity.

She had a way of talking to you that made you feel important. She was kind. She had the light of Christ in her. She shared it through kind words.

She dressed impeccably and you never did see her with lounge wear on or with her hair eschew. She often wore big rings and necklaces or broaches. Sometimes there were more than one on each hand. But it never looked as if she was trying too hard and definitely never looked gawdy. My favorite accessory of hers were her leapord print stockings. Not many can pull off that look, but Bonnie, oh yes she could!!!

She had an obvious opinion. She shared it. She didn't hide it. She owned it!

She loved beautiful music. It's been a great source of comfort for me to read through the hymns of beautiful music and feel a little closer to her.

She didn't want to be forgotten. That was her biggest fear. I know that Bonnie will surely not be forgotten. Not by me. I will carry a little piece of her with me forever. I will miss the sound of her voice and her infectious smile. I will strive to be a better friend and to have a stronger testimony of gospel truths.

We were able to have a friendship that bridged the generation gap.

She was a wonderful gardener. And it showed. Her yard is full of life. Full of buzzing. Full of beauty. Her garden is a lot like her... it's even accessorized! We shared this common love for strange plants and beautiful flowers.

She loved eighteen century English literature and often said that she wished times could be more like they were then. I picture her in a corset and hoop skirt now...with a feathered hat upon her head...maybe that would be too much for her.

She believed in soul mates. And she married hers. She knew what it was to "live for and with what (she) love(d) most on Earth." (Jane Eyre) That was the only time I ever heard her disagree with a prophet... when she disputed Pres. Kimball's remarks that there are not truly soul mates and that we can marry most anyone and make it work. She held true to her soul mate and spoiled him with wifely attention that is considered "overboard" by many today. I loved this about her.

She loved words. Written, spoken, and sung. I think that because she read so much, she was able to easily converse about anything. She was knowledgeable and loved to share this knowledge and loved to discuss the things she read. She was eager to find out about your opinions too. I was always very comfortable in her company and always came away feeling good.

Today her funeral was beautiful. The choir sounded better than ever before...coincidence? The words were comforting. The message of hope offered. I came home and had a good cry and felt plain old sad. Then to make myself feel better I decided to write about this good friend...this woman who really made a difference in my life. Why? Because I felt a connection with her that I just can't explain. She didn't save my life or give me her kidney, but she made me feel buoyed up and happy. For that I will love her forever! Bonnie Rae I will miss you and "Because I knew you, My life has changed for good."

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

This post made me feel so much happier, Alison. She is a gem. I will miss her.

Ang said...

Well said! She was a unique soul and will definitely be missed.