
My Grandmother, Avera Marie, we affectionately called her Mona, was born in 1900. Not the 1900's, 1900. She saw so much in her lifetime. It makes my head spin to think about it. She had 11 children. ( I am her 50th grandchild!!!) She raised some of them during the depression. Needless to say, she had a few tricks tucked up her sleeve, or should I say, in her apron, for making things last and not wasting anything. I think that was a generational ability. (We are so wasteful these days.) My aunt recently told me a few things about her that was fun to hear. She said that Mona would awake in the morning, pin up her hair, put on her dress, heels, apron and set out to do the housework for the day. HELLLLLLLOOOOOO! I'm lucky if I make it out of my jammies some days, let alone vacuuming in heels. Go Mona! Well, Mona always had home baked treats at her house. She had a drawer filled with cookies or sometimes there would be cake in it. She was definitely what we would call a resourceful homemaker. She died in 1980. When they went in to help grandpa clean stuff out, they found a stack of butter wrappers in the fridge. It took the ladies a minute to figure out what she saved them for. Can you guess? Well I'll tell you this is how I use them.
1.They work wonderfully to butter the top of your bread when it's at the finale of baking.
2. When you need to butter a dish, pull a wrapper out of the fridge and rub away!
3. Press your rice crispies into the pan with a butter wrapper. No extra waste, no dirty hands.
I find myself keeping them folded in half on the top shelf of my fridge door. They will get used up and not wasted. Waste not, want not. Right? When I pull one out to wipe across a hot loaf of bread I remember her and I feel good knowing that a little bit of Mona lives on through me. (but definitely not that part about housework in heels!)
2 comments:
Oh Alison, I love you! You write so well, I love your sense of humor. i seriously wish you were closer so we could hang out!
What a perfectly lovely post!
I am certainly glad we don't live in the housework in hells :) years, but I do love a beautiful apron...
Butter wrappers. I'll have to think about that one. Clever.
GO MONA!
Post a Comment