Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chile's on a Budget

One of our favorite things to eat at Chile's is the fajita quesadilla. SADLY, it is not longer on their menu. You can ask for it special, but when we did, it did not come with the yummy black beans and saffron rice (which really make the fajita quesadilla so yummy). So one night I decided to try my hand at making some of my own...it wasn't too bad that's why I'm sharing them. When my man walked into the house for dinner he ACTUALLY said " mmmmmm. It smells like Chile's in here!" Best compliment EVER!

So. Start with sauteing onions. Put a little oil in the pan, get it hot and sizzle away. I added mushrooms, because we are mushroom fans. Omit if you detest them! This takes a while.

While the onions are sizzling cook the chicken in a small pan. I actually put a frozen chicken breast in a small pan with water and let it steam for 10 minutes or so (with a lid). Then I added Yoshida sauce to the water in the pan to give the chicken a LITTLE flavor....hence the watered down marinade. Cover and let cook til done.

I like to do quesadillas on my electric skillet...you can do so many at once...really this is the most used appliance in my house...pancakes, french toast,grilled cheese, quesadillas, cheese toast (that post is coming. It's the best way to use up old bread)

Oh! I'm rambling!

Put tortillas on skillet, add MOZARELLA cheese to the bottom, add carmelized onions, ripped up chicken, add CHEDDAR cheese and top with another tortilla.

Cook on both sides till the cheese is gooey and the tortilla is crisp!!! Mmmmmm!

Cut with a pizza cutter to keep all the goodies tucked inside. And serve with rice, corn, black beans, sour cream, quacamole, WHATEVER YOU LIKE!

Really it was pretty good. Just like eating at the resteraunt except I had to clean up the mess. BOOOOO! But I saved myself a good $15-25 and 300-500 calories because you can't go to Chile's without getting either chips and salsa or molten chocolate cake. Oh My!

1 comment:

Krista Useche said...

YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM! That looks so tasty!