Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wall Tree- Spring Revamp

If you have ever read this blog you will know that I made a fabric tree that I stuck to the wall with Elmer's glue. For each season I have decorated it representative of the current season. I knew I wanted to put cherry blossoms on the tree for spring, so I was very happy when this month's Martha Stuart magazine had a play-by-play for making my own cherry blossoms. If you don't subscribe, you can look up the How-To on Martha's web site.

To begin I got 4 sheets of pink tissue paper...I really wanted lite salmon because peach is the new red...but lo, I only had pink in my supply. What's a girl to do? Be resourceful and use what she's got of course! So I followed Martha's instructions and cut out the blossoms.

Isn't that a nice little stack?! I had to deviate from Martha (please forgive me) because my blossoms had to be able to stick to the wall. So I mounted them on a card stock cut out with some hot glue. Glue 2 of them on to one lil' circle thingy (you could do only one, but why do one when you can do two! Go big or go home!)
Perhaps you may be distracted at this point because you saw that pretty little shiny can in the upper corner?! Go get one for yourself then keep on reading! LOL!

Glue one. Then glue another on top of the first. This will help the flower have more dimension.

Twist up the center flower.

Twist up the outer flower to get the look that you are after.

Put a little poster putty on the back of the cardstock dot and stick to the wall.

Ooooooo. Aaaaaaaaa. That's Pretty. Pretty Boring! It needs more!

I added some crepe paper leaves. Again, not the color I would have chosen, but, resourceful me just used what I had in the closet (green streamers from a John Deere b-day party). Eyeball the shape and cut out. I then hot glued the leaf to the under side of the blossom. (These blossoms almost look like peonies...that's not exactly a bad thing...they're my favorite spring flower!)

Ooooooooo. Aaaaaaaaaaaa. Better. I'm on my way to the look I was after!

Add a bird or two in flight! ( I traced the red ones I had from the winter tree and added a orangy brown tummy)

And what spring tree is complete without a nest! This nest is made from random scraps thrown through the paper shredder (there's even credit card statement in there!) I hot glued the shreds to a nest shape cut out of recycled paper. I wanted to add baby birds sticking their heads out, but I couldn't get them the size and color that they should be without looking weird. So I abandoned them all together. (Again, please forgive me) I still like the way momma bird looks tucked in her emerging nest! She's cute!

Here is the finished product. Isn't it Lovely?! I think it is! I hope you agree! At the very least, it's a very inexpensive way to decorate a giant obnoxious wall. If I was a nice mom, I'd have let my children make things to go on the tree. They could have done the nest for example, or made daffodils for the bottom (near the trunk) or even crafted a bird house to put on a post off to the side of the tree, but lo and behold....I'm not that nice of a mom (or patient)...this craft was all mine. And sometimes that's a good thing!

Happy Spring!!!!!!!!!!



P.S. I'd love to hear your ideas for the summer tree. Any ideas? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler?

No comments: