Examples:
1. Flying over the ocean to Hawaii. With layovers it takes about 10-12 hours. It kind of sucks....but when you think about our grandparents (maybe great grands for some of you) they had to actually ride in cars or boats when they wanted to travel...cars and boats that do not have tv screens in them, radios, or a/c... mind you
2. Phones. Nuff said. Now you can have the whole world at your fingertips with the push of a button. No more getting lost, because we have mapquest on our phone. We are mobile. No curly cords that connect us to the wall. Touch screens. No more rotary. This means that we can dial a number in 5 sec.... not 30. We don't have to memorize any #'s either because of our Contact lists. No more forgetting your BFF's work # cuz it's saved! And these phones also have calendars, organizers, alarms, and GAMES. There is no reason to sit and just be bored anymore. Not with all the technology available. (we are so spoiled)
3. E-Mail/ Texting: no more actually writing a note and waiting for it to get to it's destination and waiting for a reply. Now passing notes is instantaneous...push a couple buttons and viola! Message sent, message received, reply sent, reply received. Now people are put out if they can't contact you. As if it's not ok to actually be ALONE anymore...like it's not ok to have to wait....FOR ANYTHING!
4. CARTOON NETWORK Now cartoons are available ALL DAY LONG! Not just for the hour before school and the hour after school. That's why there are so many couch potatoes. I would have watched cartoons for hours if that had been an option, but no! I actually went out into the sunshine and played in the mud, killed snails with salt and put together dance routines that I charged my friends to watch (Carrie was my accomplice of course!) And if the President was on, forget it, the whole night's worth of TV was ruined....cuz we only had 6 channels...and he was on ALL of them.
5. Ipods, Mp3s, etc. No more carrying records/tapes/cds around. No more trying to make a mix tape with my double tape deck. Just click the songs you want from your music library, and add them to a new playlist. Then burn it to a cd if you so choose.
6. Ultrasounds. These are amazing and wonderful diagnostic tools. But can you imagine actually waiting to know what sex your baby was gonna be? And the surprise of twins? We are so impatient and anxious. We simple don't KNOW how to wait anymore.
I AM A BIT WORKED UP! WOW! I'm GONNA STOP RANTING NOW AND GET TO THE POINT OF THIS POST
7. We moms are spoiled because most of the pants today come with adjustable waist elastic...it is arguably the BEST invention EVER...especially when it is in maternity stuff! YEEE-Haaaaa! So when I actually buy a pair of pants that has no expandable waist in it my kids won't wear them. SERIOUSLY!? What's wrong with a belt? When I was little I got new pants at the beginning of the school year...they were bought big so that I could grow into them. That means they were extra long and extra wide. So guess what?! Mother Mary would "put a tuck" in them. That means she would fold the waist band over itself and stitch it in place. Which means that I got to have a BIG wad of thick material bunched on my butt...let me just say it was less than comfortable. And the length would be tucked too...and let out as I grew. So my pants really did last all year. And when summer hit, they became shorts.
My parents really made things last, cuz that's what their parents did. I appreciate it. I get more excited about reusing and re purposing than buying new. So today I am showing you how to add an adjustable waistband to a regular pair of jeans.
Take a regular pair of jeans and an adjustable elastic band stolen from a pair of retired pants...along with the buttons, of course. Use a sharp something to cut slits through the inside layer of the waist band...not both layers, just one.
Put some "Fray Check" on the cut edges of the slits after you trim up any frays that there may be. This will only take a few minutes to dry.
Sew on the buttons.
Thread the elastic through the waistband with a paperclip.
Tighten as desired and fasten to the button.
Now the pair of pants that always got shoved to the back of the closet will actually get used....IMAGINE THAT!
No comments:
Post a Comment