Thursday, April 8, 2010

More Redneck Babyproofing in a Trash to Treasure Sort of Way

Problem: Little Ellie Belly has figured out how to push a chair around the kitchen.

Problem: Now we do not have a safe zone... ya know? The place where you can put the sharp scissors, the diet soda, the nasty blue tatoo robin eggs left over from Easter, even just a place to prepare dinner without a helper. (She climbed up while I was making meatballs and tried to eat a raw one. Eeeek!)

Problem: I am tired of scooting around said chairs and the messes that are created because she now has access to our safe zone.

Redneck Solution 1: Use one of the following to tie the table to the chair: the plastic thingy that holds your beer/ soda together, use twine from the hay bales out back, or use a long strand of your boyfriend's mullet that you cut off when he passed out the other night or (this is the one I chose) use small pieces of rope to tie the chairs to the table. (I can do this because I have metal detailing on the side of my table)

Problem: It took 5 minutes to untie all the rope so we could all sit down to dinner...and then another 5 minutes to tie the chairs back up. And the older kids needed help to untie the chairs for snacks and other meals. Hmmmmmm. What to do...what to do?

Solution 2: When sorting laundry I came across some ugly cut off shorts that were ready to be land filled. I actually opened the cupboard to dump 'em when an idea hit me! Cut up the shorts and remove the treasure!

I could have saved the denim and made a lovely denim patch quilt, but I'm not interested in that...I am interested in two things:

1. The shnazzy adjustable elastic waistband. It is going to be added to a pair of shorts I just bought for one of the boys that doesn't have an adjustable watisband already. (REALLY! Why don't all children's pants come with these?!....We really are so spoiled though! Adjustable waist jeans is BRILLIANT and I am so thankful to the person responsible for inventing it) I'll post that project when I actually do it.

2. The part I was really after was the snap button heavy duty waist band! It's not classy, but then neither am I. It works as a great Kitchen Chair babyproofer! Woot-Woot!

The greatest part is that my bigger boys can undo it to sit at the table and do it back again without crying! Yahoo for simple redneck solutions. Ya Know?!

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Okay, that's rad. Now you just need to find five more, right?! AWESOME!!!

Ang said...

Great idea! When Ryan was little - I tied all the legs together with rope. It worked, but it was a totally pain in the behind. If only I'd known you then.... :)

Alison said...

The beauty of having a house full of boys is that I DO have 5 more pairs down in my craft room...that are waiting to be repaired...maybe I'll just re-purpose them! Ya Know?!